Turning Windows Firewall On or Off
To turn Windows Firewall on or off on a Windows 7 computer, follow the steps below:
- Click on your Start button (the Windows icon in the bottom left of your screen).
- Click on the Control Panel option.
- If you are viewing the "Control Panel" window in "Categories" view, click on System and Security. Then clickWindows Firewall. Click on Turn Windows Firewall on or off in the left menu. This will bring up a window with the firewall settings.
- If you are viewing the "Control Panel" window in either "Large Icons" or "Small Icons," click on Windows Firewall. Click on Turn Windows Firewall on or off in the left menu. This will bring up a window with the firewall settings.
- Select the settings that you want on your computer. Having all three firewalls turned On is recommended.
- Selecting "Block all incoming connections, including those in the list of allowed programs" will block everything coming in to your computer.
- Selecting "Notify me when Windows Firewall blocks a new program" will enable the firewall program to send you notifications if something new is blocked. This is the recommended option.
- Click OK when you have finished changing your settings.