Making sure your Zoom client is up to date is important. Zoom frequently updates the Zoom Client for Meetings with new new features and bug fixes. Keeping your Zoom client up to date is not always automatic. It is recommended you check for updates once per week. Here are two ways of doing that.
Methods of updating the Zoom Client for Meetings
- Preferred method - Check for updates within the Zoom Client. This method checks with Zoom to see if you have the latest version, and provides you the option of updating if needed.
- Open the Zoom desktop client (not the web portal) installed on your computer. If using Windows, click on the Windows icon in the lower left part of the screen, then type Zoom and press enter- it should find the Zoom app and allow you to click on its icon to open it. On a Mac, you can use the spotlight search to find Zoom and open it from there - it is also in the applications folder.
- After signing into the client, click on your profile picture (or the two letter initials) in the upper right part of the Zoom window.
- In the pop-up menu, click on Check for Updates. If your client is up to date - it will let you know. If it is not up to date, then follow the next step.
- If there is an update, you will be presented with a window similar to the one below. Click on the Update button (it only takes 1-2 minutes at most to update).
- Downloading the latest client directly from Zoom. This method does not check your Zoom desktop client version and simply downloads the most current version directly from Zoom. You can reinstall it from the download. Note: this method may take longer than the preferred method above. This is recommended only if you suspect your Zoom installation is corrupt and you need a new install.
- Using an internet browser, navigate to zoom.us/download and click on the Download button under Zoom Client for Meetings.
- Open the file once it downloads.
- On a Mac you may be asked to move (drag and drop) the downloaded package to the applications folder.
- On a PC running Windows, the installation should proceed when you open the downloaded file.