Whitman College provides a VPN server for administrative staff that allows you to securely connect to our internal network over the internet. This would allow you to potentially gain access to services such as Datatel or Millennium while off campus.
*Note* A VPN connection to Whitman College will not work in all locations. Some hotels, wireless hot spots and some Internet Service Providers use older firewalls, routers and wireless access points the do *NOT* support the required "Cisco IP/VPN passthrough (IPSec/L2TP)" and so the VPN connection to Whitman College will fail.
You need to contact Kevin Kelly (email@example.com) to request a VPN account.
Install the MacOS VPN Client
There are two ways to locate and install the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client
- From Website:
- Open a browser and navigate to https://vpn.whitman.edu
- Login with your Whitman username and VPN password
- Click 'Download for MacOS'
- Locate the download, double-click, and follow the prompts to install
- From Self Service:
- Hold down the Command key and press the Space bar
- Type 'Self Service' and hit Enter
- On the left menu, choose 'Security'
- Click Install under AnyConnect VPN
Connect your computer to the VPN
- Open the the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client
- Type: vpn.whitman.edu in the blank box and then click Connect
- Type in your Whitman username and your VPN password
- Click OK
Verifying your VPN IP address
You can use your web browser to open the following web page:
The web page will display both your "On-Campus IP address" and your "Off-Campus IP Address". Your "On-Campus IP Address" should be 10.20.2.xx where "xx" and a number from 1 to 253.
Disconnecting from the VPN
Locate the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client window and click Disconnect.