Prepare your video clip.
Open the video file or DVD (preferably with VLC player) and have it ready to play in a separate window. Cue the video to the start of the section you want to share and pause the video, and leave this window open on your desktop.
Launch your Zoom meeting.
Prepare your Zoom session for video sharing. Much like turning off the lights, drawing the blinds, and making sure everyone is quiet before starting a film in a traditional classroom, each participant should
toggle off cameras
- mute microphones
- and you (the Host) should disable Chat: left-click the Security icon and, under Allow participants to:, deselect the word Chat.
- Click on the green Share Screen icon
- Select the window that you want to share. The window you select will be highlighted in blue. In this example, the window selected also has the orange and white cone icon of the VLC media player.
- Select both boxes (Share computer sound and Optimize Screen Sharing for Video Clip) at the bottom of this screen
- Share computer sound - ensures that the audio that accompanies your video clip is also shared. If there is no audio that accompanies the video clip, then it is ok to leave this unticked.
- Optimize Screen Sharing for Video Clip - ensures that the shared video is of the best possible quality.
- Click on the blue Share button, and your screen share will begin. The screen being shared should be surrounded by a green frame (but don't worry if you do not see this frame).
- Play the video (you paused the video at your start point in step 1). When playing your clip, try and make if displaying it full screen may make it more viewable for your audience. Usually, full screen mode can toggled on and off by clicking on an icon that looks something like one of these: or
- You should be able to see the screen sharing control bar (If you don't see the screen share menu below, try hovering your mouse over the green bar that says "You are screen sharing". This should make the control bar visible):
- Note that you can Stop Share or Pause Share with this tool bar. If you have another video or file that you want to share, and it is already open on your desktop, you can click on New Share and select a different window to share, without stopping or pausing! This allows you to switch from one screen share to the next, without having to pause or lose time during your session to find the file location.
- When finished sharing, click on Stop Share and you will resume your Zoom meeting. Remember to ask people to unmute and toggle their cameras back on, if you want to continue the meeting. You can also reenable chat, through the Security tool